The therapy of advanced forms of nail fungus lasts more than a year. However, in the initial stage, the disease can be resolved faster. To do this, nail fungus varnishes were created on the hands and feet.
Treatment of nails affected by nail fungus: indications and approach
Antifungal varnish is a tool that has recently become topical in the fight against nail fungus in the initial stages of infection, ie in cases when the plaque is less than 50% damaged.
The tool is convenient and practical: unlike grease, it does not wipe or rinse after drying.
However, antifungal nail polish is indicated in only 2 cases:
- In the initial phase of the disease, when up to 30% of the plaque is affected and no more than 3 nails on one foot, the hand. With larger and deeper foci, antifungal tablets cannot be omitted.
- For the prevention of onychomycosis. The coating reliably protects nails from re-infection.
The drug can be prescribed for self-therapy or as part of a complex treatment.
How does antifungal varnish work?
Nail fungus varnish on the feet and hands has a liquid structure, is quickly absorbed and penetrates even into microcracks. The active substance begins to destroy the cell membrane, enzymes and spores of the pathogen. After hardening, the coating clogs the plate, preventing the release of oxygen. They are left without a basis of vital activity, the fungi stop multiplying and gradually die.
Mycologists also prescribe a drug to prevent fungus, especially for people with excessive sweating and after acrylic extensions. The resulting protective film prevents the entry of moisture, fungus, infection into the nail. In addition, alcohol, oils and plant extracts in the composition are disinfected and dried.
Efficacy of treatment
Nail fungus varnishes are effective only for the prevention and treatment of onychomycosis in the initial stage. The drug creates a protective coating, quickly eliminates the infection and prevents the appearance of new ones. Complete recovery occurs after 3 months of therapy, the first results are visible after 7-10 days.
A couple of weeks after the end of the treatment, it is necessary to do tests. A laboratory test will show whether the infection has been completely eliminated and whether a second course is needed.
Before buying the product, consult a mycologist or dermatologist. The specialist will assess the degree and depth of the lesion, determine the stage and prescribe the appropriate nail polish for fungal nails on the feet or hands.
How to apply nail polish in the treatment of nail fungus?
The frequency of use of a particular tool is specified in the instructions. As a rule, in the first month the nails are varnished once in 2 days, in the second - twice a week, in the third - once a week. Therapy is carried out until the growth of healthy plates.
Nail fungus polish on the feet and hands is applied according to the following scheme:
- Preliminary processing. Before treatment, feet or hands are steamed in a soda-salt bath, washed thoroughly with soap and water. Then dry the surfaces and do a hygienic pedicure or manicure. The nails are cut, the top layer is polished with a file and wiped with alcohol.
- Application of funds. Fungal nail polish is applied with a brush or spatula on dry boards. The actions are performed slowly and carefully so as not to injure the skin around. In this case, the composition should cover the entire nail area.
- Subsequent processing. The drug should not be removed until the next procedure. However, after 10 minutes, after complete drying, the decorative varnish can be applied to the healing varnish. Whether the manufacturer allows this possibility is stated in the instructions.
Therapeutic nail polish from fungi is not absorbed into the bloodstream and cannot cause intoxication. However, the drug is contraindicated in:
- individual intolerance to components;
- susceptibility to allergic reactions;
- increased skin sensitivity;
- children under the age of 16;
- pregnancy and lactation.
Varnishes are prescribed with caution in diabetes mellitus, a disease of the immune system.
Varnish to treat fungus on nails and hands rarely causes side effects. In case of accidental skin contact, the following may occur:
If an allergic reaction occurs, it is worth choosing an analogue with another active substance.
Attention! Nail polish reduces the effectiveness of combined contraceptives.
After complete recovery, the patient is often re-infected with the fungus. To avoid recurrence, it is necessary to coat the nails with varnish within a month after the treatment.
Due attention should be paid to hygiene: wash feet and hands daily, change socks, dry shoes. Towels and slippers must be individual.
Remember: even the best nail polish requires regular application. Without re-treatment, the coating will gradually wash off. As a result, there will be favorable soil for the development of fungi.
In conclusion, it should be said that in case of symptoms of nail damage by fungal infection, and especially if it is accompanied by favorable factors, you should seek qualified medical help.
Setting up experiments with self-selection of therapeutic agents will not only not help in any way, but will also worsen the existing situation. Getting a gift in the form of a fungus on your nails is very simple, but it is quite difficult to cure. Therapy is long-lasting and often complex, so the course of the disease should not begin with self-medication.